Sunday, April 24, 2011

ATTENTION!

I'm definitely blaming digital media for my inability to just FOCUS. The sheer amount of possibilities it gives is mind boggling. And the scary thing is, my mind has somehow gotten used to this, to the point where I need it all the time, to the point where I HAVE to multitask. It's not even enough to just watch TV anymore, I'm usually on my laptop on the internet WHILE watching TV! Even when I'm out doing something, hanging out with friends, I have that urge to check my email or see something online. It's horrible. In this modern age, digital media has delivered so much information overload that it has now become the norm to be overloaded. If I'm not overloaded on digital media, I feel like I am wasting time or doing something wrong.

How often are you online everyday? The answer for me is definitely more often that I'd like. Sometimes I would like to think I could break this habit. Surely there are people out there who don't have the internet and they live perfectly healthy lives! Possibly healthier even! Why can't that be me? And then I realize just how much our lives are dependent on the internet. Even now, I have to be on the internet just to complete this assignment!! And once I get on, I have no will-power to keep myself from checking email, watching Youtube videos or any number of internet activities. People, including myself, are certainly developing an addiction to the internet, and I fear how far this addiction can go. Possibly soon there will be rehab centers for internet users. I wouldn't be surprised, hell I'll check myself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment